Follow by Email

Saturday, 16 February 2013

Memory Cushion

I recently faced quite a challenging commission when I was asked to create a 'memory cushion'. The cushion needed to include a variety of objects that meant something to the client. The objects included a cat, a fairy,  chickens, a Norwegian troll, a witch and forget-me-nots. I was also given the task of coming up with objects to represent Family, Christmas, England, Norway, music and films. I chose to base the design around a tree to represent a family tree and to also give the design a central focus. I gave the design a border of holly to represent Christmas. To represent England I chose an English rose, for Norway a Norwegian flag, for music musical notes and for film a clapper board. I loved this commission as it was such a challenge and really got me thinking. The design is so unusual and very much a one-off, I hope that it will become an heir-loom and passed down through the generations. 
My original sketch.
Looking for inspiration for the design.
Choosing fabrics.
The design translated in to applique.

The back of the cushion which was piped and had polka-dot buttons.
The final design.






Tuesday, 5 February 2013

Fox Cushion

I have recently had the pleasure of completing a commission for a cushion with the image of a fox on it. I was given a beautiful photograph of a fox that had been altered using Photoshop to give it a more simplified, graphic look and was asked to translate the image in to a textile design. 


I was asked to make a large cushion (24") so started by enlarging the image using a grid technique. I simplified the image further by re-creating the image as a felt tip sketch. I was asked to use a specific fabric for the backing of the cushion so used this as a guide for my choice of colours and decided to limit the colour palette to 4 colours. 



I traced my sketch to form simple shapes that I cut out of fabric. I then built up the face of the fox using applique and added detail and texture using free-hand machine embroidery over the top. 



I turned the design in to a piped cushion with zip opening on the back. 



I really enjoyed this commission - it was quite a challenge at first but I am really pleased with the results.